What is ECE R65?
Making your motor vehicle stand out is very important. Especially if your vehicle drives on a public road and differs from other motor vehicles due to its shape, size or speed. The European directive ECE R65 describes the requirements for optical and acoustic signals for vehicles and trailers. In 2014, the regulation of the ECE R65 applies to amber-coloured (amber) flashing lights and flashing lights for vehicles and trailers.
When do you comply with the ECE R65 directive?
It is important to prevent unsafe situations. Road users who see a vehicle approaching from a distance can adjust their driving behaviour accordingly. The LED flashing and strobe lights are an excellent way of alerting other road users to the presence of another vehicle.
You comply with the ECE R65 guidelines in the following activities or circumstances:
- Activities for roadside assistance with motor vehicles apparently equipped for that purpose.
- Activities using motor vehicles apparently equipped for the purpose of assistance and the repair or recovery and towing of vehicles.
- Accompanying transports for which an exemption has been granted, insofar as this accompaniment results from the exemption and this is done with specially equipped vehicles.
- Work on, on, in or above roads, including slippery road conditions or snow clearance.
- Escorting military columns.
- Driving agricultural or forestry tractors and reduced-speed motor vehicles, or trailers propelled by them, which are wider than 2.60 m including the load.
The LED flashbulbs of vehicles on public roads must be certified according to the European Directive ECE R65. It is important to know that not every LED flashlight can be used on public roads.
ECE R65 certified
It is important that you are visible to other road users. The LED beacons and flashing lights must therefore be ECE R65 certified. In order to meet the European directives of the ECE REG 65, the light signal must be visible from a distance of 20 metres around the vehicle at a height of 1.50 metres.
The difference between R65 class 1 and R65 class 2
The LED lights from TRALERT® have been approved according to the European directives ECE REG 65. The R65 class 1 are lights that are approved according to the ECE R65 guidelines. Class 1 indicates that the lights burn/flash at an intensity level. Class 2 supplements the R65 Class 1 by stating that the lamps can operate on two intensity levels and/or flashing. The blue icon indicates that the LED lighting lamps available as a blue flashing light. ECE R65 class 2 generally provides up to 2.3 times more light than ECE R65 class 1. Class 1 is used in the evening and night and Class 2 is used during the day.
The owner of the vehicle may be held legally liable. In the event of an accident where the vehicle was not or insufficiently equipped with the correct warning lights, the owner of the vehicle will be held legally liable. It is important that LED beacons and torches are clearly visible and certified to the European guidelines of the ECE R65.