Definition: E-markings

What are E-markings?

In order for lighting products to be traded on the European market, they must meet certain requirements in the areas of safety, health and the environment. For example, with regard to the safety of drivers of vehicles and their surroundings when it comes to lighting, regulations have been drawn up by the Economic Commission for Europe: ECE. Directives (indicated with the letter R) lay down, for example, the amount of light, visibility, flashing frequency, etc. of headlights, rear lights, flash units, work lights, etc. The E-markings are also referred to as ECE-markings.

E-markings: proof of approval

If a lamp demonstrably complies with the applicable requirements, it is given a so-called E-mark. This can be on the housing or on the lens of the lamp, for example.

E-markings on lamps: Which country?

The E-code on a lamp shows in which country the type approval took place. The testing authority in that country has examined the product (vehicle lighting, worklight, beacon, torch) and has concluded that it complies with the European homologation requirements. This is recorded in a report. The manufacturer of the light must be able to produce this!

For the Netherlands (E4) the RDW is the inspection authority.

The most important ECE-RXX requirements for TRALERT®

ECE-R10 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)

Light fittings fitted with LEDs are sensitive to the emission of electromagnetic signals. If these signals are not suppressed, there is a good chance that they will interfere with, for example, the car radio. This is obviously not desirable. Products that comply with ECE-R10 regulations suppress these signals and are EMC suppressed. So no problems with car radios and the like.

ECE-R112 Lights

Beams that radiate out in front of the vehicle must have ECE-R112 type approval as soon as they are used on public roads. LED driving lights with this type approval is equipped with a lens technology that prevents glare for oncoming traffic.

ECE-R23 Reversing lights

Lamps with this approval may be used as reversing lights. These lights have such a high light pattern that they do not blind traffic behind them, in contrast to the regular LED work lights.

ECE-R65 Vehicle warning lights

When do you have to use R65 signalling lights?

As of 1 March 2009, the European regulation ECE REG 65 applies. This regulation applies to acoustic and optical signalling on newly delivered, towed and trailered vehicles. From 1 March 2014 the regulation will be compulsory for both new and already driven, towed and semi-towed vehicles.

When should yellow flashing lights be used?

In the following activities or circumstances, a vehicle shall use yellow flashing or indicator lights if there is a risk that the vehicle will not be seen in time by other road users:

  • Activities for roadside assistance with motor vehicles apparently equipped for that purpose.
  • Activities using motor vehicles apparently equipped for the purpose of assistance and the repair or recovery and towing of vehicles.
  • Carriage of indivisible loads, insofar as this concerns vehicles which have been granted an exemption in accordance with the vehicle regulations, with regard to the dimensions of these vehicles or their loads.
  • Accompanying transports for which an exemption has been granted, insofar as this accompaniment results from the exemption and this is done with specially equipped vehicles.
  • Work on, on, in or above roads, including slippery road conditions or snow clearance.
  • Escorting military columns.
  • Driving agricultural or forestry tractors and reduced-speed motor vehicles, or trailers propelled by them, which are wider than 2.60 m including the load.

Description directive ECE R65:

Yellow flashing light: light composed of one set of yellow signal lights.

  • The set must comply with ECE Regulation 65 and is certified accordingly.
  • The set is mounted so that the light signal is visible from a distance of 20 m around the vehicle. Measured at 1.5 m above the road surface.

For which vehicle categories:

  • Vehicles with at least four wheels and carrying passengers (Cat. M1, M2, M3)
  • Vehicles with at least 4 wheels and carrying goods (Cat. N1, N2, N3)
  • Trailer (Cat. 01, 02, 03, 04)
  • Agricultural and forestry tractors (Cat. T)
  • Off-road mobile machinery (Cat. G.)

Ask us anything about lighting

We are happy to help you put together the lighting set for your vehicle.