In order to be able to legally market LED lighting products on the European market, they must meet certain safety, health and environmental requirements. For example, in regards to the safety of drivers of vehicles and their environment when it comes to lighting. Regulations have been established by the Economic Commission for Europe: ECE. Guidelines (marked with the letter R.) Guidelines included are for example, the amount of light, the visibility and the frequency of flashing of for example, work lights and rear lights.

E-marking: seal of approval

If a LED vehicle light has been proven to meet the legal requirements, it will be provided with an E-marking. This marking can be placed on the housing or on the lens of the LED lighting product.

E-codes on lights: which country?

The E-code on a LED light shows in which country the approval took place. The inspection authority of that country has examined the product and concluded that it meets the European homologation requirements. This is documented in a report. The manufacturer of the lamp must be able to provide these documents!

For the Netherlands (E4) the RDW is the responsible authority.

The most important ECE-RXX requirements for TRALERT®

ECE-R10 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)

Lights that are equipped with LEDs are sensitive to emitting electromagnetic signals. When these signals are not suppressed, there is a big chance that they will for example, distort a car radio. This is of course undesirable. Products that comply with ECE-R10 regulations suppress these electromagnetic signals. Resulting in no issues with for example car radio's.

ECE-R112 Spotlights

Products that emit light from the front of a vehicle must be ECE-R112 approved as soon as they are being driven on public roads. Emitters with this certification are equipped with a lens technique that prevents glare from oncoming vehicles.

ECE-R23 Rear lighting

Lighting products with this certification may officially be used as rear lights. These lights have a certain level of illumination that will make sure they do not temporarily blind other traffic unlike regular work lights.

ECE-R65 warning light for vehicles

When should you use R65 warning lights?

As of the first of March 2009, the European law (ECE REG 65) is applicable. These regulations apply to acoustic and optical signaling on newly delivered, towing and towed vehicles. Since the first of March 2014, these regulations will be mandatory for new, already moving, towing and towed vehicles.

When should you use yellow flashing lights?

In the following circumstances, a vehicle should emit a flashing yellow light if there is a chance that the vehicle will not be noticed by other road users:

  • Circumstances where guidance is being offered on or along the road, with motor vehicles that are clearly meant for that purpose.
  • Working situations on, in or above roads, including ice and/or snow clearance.
  • Working situations with motor vehicles that are clearly meant for the assistance, repair, salvage and/or towing of vehicles.
  • Transport of undividable goods that corresponds with vehicle laws and regulations.
  • The supervision of transport for which an exception has been granted, provided that this supervision results from the exception and this takes place with specially equipped vehicles.
  • Guiding military vehicles.
  • Driving agricultural vehicles with limited speed, or trailers propelled by them, which, including the load, are wider than 2.60 m.

Description guideline ECE R65:

Yellow flashing lights consisting out of one set of yellow lighting.

  • The set must comply with ECE Regulation 65 and has been certified accordingly.
  • The set is mounted in such a way that the light signal can be observed from a distance of 20 meters around the vehicle. This is measured at 1.5 meters above the road surface.

For which vehicle categories:

  • Vehicles that have a minimum of 4 wheels and are used to transport people (Cat. M1, M2, M3).
  • Vehicles that have at least 4 wheels and are used for transporting goods (Cat. N1, N2, N3)
  • Trailers (Cat. 01, 02, 03, 04)
  • Agricultural vehicles (Cat. T)
  • Off-road mobile machines (Cat. G)

Any questions about E-markings?